Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mothers Intuition VS The Pediatrician

As a mother, you trust that your pediatrician “knows it all” when it comes to the health and development of your child. Those fancy degrees in those shiny gold frames adoring their office walls say your should. We rarely question them. If they disagree with a concern that we have, we chalk it up to the fact that we’re most likely over reacting. Sometimes our pediatrician even says, “Each child is an individual and we can’t compare their development to the development our friends’ children.” Fair enough. But what if our “Mothers Intuition” is telling us one thing and our pediatrician is saying another?

I knew early on that something was very different about Nicholas. Growing up with a mother who worked in a “special needs” preschool, I had been exposed to it all. Volunteering my summers at the preschool, I had learned first hand not only the blessing of these children, but also how overwhelming the care of them could be at times. So when I confronted Nicholas’ pediatrician with concerns about his tactile defensiveness, I wanted and welcomed his dismissal of my fear of Autism. I wanted a trained “professional” to tell me my baby was normal...

Continue Article...

1 comment:

JuliaR said...

I posted a comment over at where the article continued. Good post!